Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

setting up a T-34 Series RC Helicopter

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
max9101
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:25 am
PostPost subject:

Hi all

Have to agree with TREV why people fly the likes of the T-34. My main reasons were cost & confident building.

3 days after buying my T-34 I started upgrading it, this has taught me quite a bit.

2 days after completing my upgrades I ordered a HBFP V2. Still worried about taking above 4 feet, but loving it, but nearly got tail in nailed!

If I had went start to a 450, 3 weeks ago, it would now be on e-bay and this great hobby would have lost a new follower.

TREV can you send me details on the double tilt mod, my bottom blades keep rotating slower every so often, so might as well do another mod while I'm fixing the problem.
T-R-E-V
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:38 pm
PostPost subject:

Hello Max,

As I have always said this hobby is a natural progression,

We start with Interest, this happens in all sorts of way's seeing someone fly for the first time walking past a shop window, even a photo or video.

Then there is choice we tend to buy with our eyes if it looks nice it will fly nice wrong,

It may have been a gift a birthday presents or a total guess a friend’s recommendation. However we obtain our first heli will be different.

Rule of thumb, we start of small or cheap and end up Big and expensive.

You will not be able to do the double tilting rotor mod until you have replaced your top main gear or location screws.

Link

Trev.
TheRealFury
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:39 pm
PostPost subject:

Hello all,

RC newbie here and just bought a T-34 series. I was all about ready to send it back as faulty when i googled the problem and found this site. Basically i have no foreward momentum at all. with 100% forwards power and full stick use it hovers, maybe moving foreward at about 0.1m/s.

I guess there must be too much weight at the back as it does tend to tip backwards a bit... all this is as it came from the factory Sad

Although i am an RC newbie i am somewhat of an expert in battery tech (i come from the Electric Vehicle world) so i really have to re-enforce the sentiment that no matter what the mah rating of a battery it will not cause a motor, controller, wireing or chip to burn out. This is all caused by voltage and current.

mah is just the measure of capacity in the battery, the best way i find to explain batteries to a novice is as follows.

think of a battery as a tank of fuel. the mah rating is equivalent to the gallon rating of a tank. Weather you have 1 gallons or 100 gallons the car will still operate the same until it runs out.

Think of the voltage as the width of the pipe passing fuel to the motor. the wider the pipe the more fuel can be passed to the motor.

Lastly think of the C rating as the fuel pump. The bigger the C rating the more fuel can be passed to the motor.

Now the width of the pipe and the size of the pump (Voltage and C rating) are the only things that effect how the motor will run.

As electric motors and chips only take the power that they need to run so are unaffected by C rating (as long as there is sufficient C rating to operate at full potential) that just leaves voltage as the sole factor that would effect if a heli part burned out.

therefore... stick with a 2S lipo battery and take what ever mah rating you can fit in the heli without changing the flying characteristics too much due to balance issues.

Just for note, the heli appears to require 5-6c constant so receiver packs with low C rating wouldnt be good. i would advice 15-20C to give the batteries an easy time.

the stock battery that comes with the heli is very weak and struggles to supply the demend of the helecopter due to voltage sag under load so a battery upgrade should give some improvement in performance as well.

Thanks for the info and the reading guys, already ordered a replacement tail rotor Twisted Evil
T-R-E-V
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:44 am
PostPost subject:

Hi TheRealFury,

Finally a battery explanation I can understand, thank you for that. Shocked

You may be a battery expert, but I am a T-34 expert lol. Laughing

You say the stock battery is too weak and struggles with the demand placed upon them.

I disagree as stock batters are more the capable of carrying the extra weight of a tail motor assembly plus two oversize tail rotor blades full out across the sky with speed for about five minutes.

What tends to happen with new T-34 pilots, they get there shinny new helicopter, are surprised just how well they fly’s, end up going up to high, turn to fast resulting in blade strike, it may hit a ground or wall the blades, don’t break because of their design, but does damage the blades leading edge, this may be hard to see under the rubber edging, once the edges get damaged will not lift off the same, if it’s not the blade edge it’s the top gear being damaged again if so will not lift.

To improve forward flight without modification the battery needs to be moved forward as much as physically possible.

Trev.
TheRealFury
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:58 pm
PostPost subject:

T-R-E-V wrote:
Hi TheRealFury,

Finally a battery explanation I can understand, thank you for that. Shocked

You may be a battery expert, but I am a T-34 expert lol. Laughing

You say the stock battery is too weak and struggles with the demand placed upon them.

I disagree as stock batters are more the capable of carrying the extra weight of a tail motor assembly plus two oversize tail rotor blades full out across the sky with speed for about five minutes.

What tends to happen with new T-34 pilots, they get there shinny new helicopter, are surprised just how well they fly’s, end up going up to high, turn to fast resulting in blade strike, it may hit a ground or wall the blades, don’t break because of their design, but does damage the blades leading edge, this may be hard to see under the rubber edging, once the edges get damaged will not lift off the same, if it’s not the blade edge it’s the top gear being damaged again if so will not lift.

To improve forward flight without modification the battery needs to be moved forward as much as physically possible.

Trev.

Thanks for te reply Trev, Ill try not to wreck the blades too soon then Smile

The stock battery is surely capable of putting out the amps required but the voltage sag is quite heavy which means that you loose overall power output due to lower voltage. a Battery with 15-20C rating and 1000mah or more would give slightly better performance.

If it were not for the 40mph winds here at the minute i would be testing it out with my new Zippy Flightmax 2S 1300mah 15C battery i got from HK.

Still waiting for my new tail rotor to arrive as well so would be going nowhere fast even if there was no wind lol.

One question i do have if anyone cal help me is that there is a flexible arial on the heli that was wrapped around the landing grear of the heli, is this supposed to be spooled up like that or should it be down the tail section somehow?

Reason i ask is that once i go above say 7-10 meters high the motor starts to stutter a bit and control is hit and miss, seems to me like its loosing reception but i have seen youtube vids of poeple flying much higher then i have been able to go, maybe im missing something?
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:16 pm
PostPost subject: post subject

Hi TheRealFury
thanks for the info on battery power. Very informative. Cool
T-R-E-V
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:38 am
PostPost subject:

Like I said you’re the battery expert and would not disagree with you.

40mph winds are okay if you are only flying one way. Laughing

The Arial wire is wrapped around the skids because of the length of the wire, not sure if the wrapping Patten is necessary but does seem to communicate with the receiver better this way.

Losing the signal at height, there are a few possibilities the Arial wire Patten as mentioned, the wire shorting out on the metal frame, the transmitter antenna not fully extended.

Also onboard keycams effect the signal.

Trev.
TheRealFury
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:35 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks for the reply.

I have not touched the anenna cable as yet so its as it was supplied new. Doesnt look like there is any damage to the insulation so should not be shorting to the frame but cant be 100% sure unless i unwrap it and check which i think ill leave for now.

As for the transmitter antenna, i never actually paid attention to if it was fully extended or not to tell the truth so ill have to give it another test when possible and make sure it is. may have just been me not fully extending it Embarassed
lightning
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:36 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi tusker , man you have over 12000 hits on this thread ,not bad for your first post.I too have learnt. well done.........what's your next question ?
ghost123uk
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:33 pm
PostPost subject:

max9101 wrote:
Ok guys as promised here's the update on the Sky King tail rotor mod.

Bugger me it's quick!

Step 9 - Test fly and surprise yourself, how a £3 part & 10 minutes work can make such a difference.

Hope this helps some of you that were thinking of trying.

Thanks for that info Very Happy

New on here and so glad I found you all Very Happy

I too was about to return mine because of this lack of forward / backward control.

I had tried re-pitching the tail rotor and messing with CofG to little effect.

I have just this minute ordered a Sky King tail rotor off a very well known auction site for just £3.80 all in and cannot wait to try it out. (I could not find a Dragonfly one in the UK so this will do for now).

Just to say, I bought mine as a very first Heli (I have flown R/C planes for years) and I do intend to slowly progress to a "proper" single rotor 6 channel type job in the future.
T-R-E-V
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:42 am
PostPost subject:

Blade strikes happen when trying to turn the helicopter to fast in mid flight,

There is a safety feature that detects any blade strike then cuts the power to the motor, resulting in bringing the helicopter crashing down.

The idea of the mod was to strengthen the blades. I glued a length of carbon fibre rod along the leading edge of the blade, to prevent this happening.

Tests are now complete and are a complete success.

The next mod I am working on is the first 3ch flybarless coaxial.

Here is my latest T-34 modification

Link

Trev.
god_in_a_chopper
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:50 am
PostPost subject:

Hi all,

Firstly I'd like to say thank you to all the pro's here (looking at you trev), you've done some really cool mods, and ultimately made me buy one of these helicopters. You should get sponsorship or something!

I've been flying mine for a few days, and so far all I've done it slide the battery forwards a bit, heated up and twisted the rear rotor to make it a bit more aggressive and removed the horizontal wing(?) at the back, as that seems to do naff all except get pushed down by the downdraft from the main blades.. Doing those things now gives me some forward motion, but I want more!

On order is the Sky King rotor, as I was unable to source the dragonfly one, and a Turnigy 1300mAh battery. I'm really looking forward to get this thing moving fast.Very Happy

Anyway, no real reason for posting other than to say thanks, I'm sure I'll be back asking questions soon however!

Oh, I did have one thought, does anyone know how the light on/off button transmits? Does it send two separate pulses, an "on" then a different "off" signal? Just a thought, that if it sends a different signal, could it be modded to run two fans either side to allow you two 'slip' the helicopter sideways? May have to try and figure that one out...

EDIT - I assume I wont have to worry about blade strike until I get it moving better (i.e a twin rear rotot setup)? Also, which set of blades did you strengthen? Cheers.Smile
T-R-E-V
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:36 am
PostPost subject:

Hello god welcome to the forum did not expect to be saying that today. Laughing

I don’t know about sponsorship, just happy to see my modifications on other T-34 Helicopters, and working. Embarassed

Sounds like you are having fun with your T-34 that’s what it is all about.

You really need the Dragonfly tail rotor to give you the required results, the Skyking will slightly improve things, but only slightly,

The standard battery will give you all the power you need.

Ask as many questions as you like, and I will try and answer them, that goes for anybody with questions regarding the T-34 Helicopter.

As you have discovered you can turn the light on/off via the transmitter button. You will not be able to run a motor from here.

Believe me I have tried, my intension was to run a servo to tilt a swashplate to give forward speed.

I am not saying it cannot be done, with the right electronics.

I have included the Blade mod video.

Link

Trev.
god_in_a_chopper
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:16 am
PostPost subject:

Interesting, definitely a mod I'll be doing in the future. Although I've yet to experience blade strike, I guess it messes the blades up pretty badly when it does happen. Really helpful video, thanks.Smile

Regarding the battery, It's not a huge upgrade, but hopefully it'll give me just a little bit more flying time without compromising handling, we shall see!

I'll have to read up on the receiver a bit, see what outputs etc it offers, I'm sure it could be put to better use than a few pretty lights. Twisted Evil

Shame about the Skyking, I'll give it a go anyway, anythings better than nothing!

I do have a question for you, what is the part number for the dragonfly rear rotor?

T-R-E-V
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:20 am
PostPost subject:

As demonstrated in the video these blades are unbelievably tough,

They can bend but not snap or break no matter what punishment is placed upon them.

Adding The Double Rotor System will give this helicopter extreme forward flight,

These blades was designed for toughness not speed, consequently when pushed the blades resemble rubber in flight,

Once the blades touch each other the built in safety feature cuts the power to the motor, good if the blades contact your fingers or arm, bad news when flying high, as it just brings this helicopter down, that’s why I have added this simple mod,

The lights are more of a signal rather than a voltage, I also could use this extra channel rather then turning on and off lights.

The tail rotor is a Double Horse SYMA 601, 603, 9093, 9083, 9086 5.75 inches ( 148 mm ) from tip to tip

Trev.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13
Jump to: