Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

storm 450

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mackers
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:36 am
PostPost subject: storm 450

Hi , is the storm 450 a good heli?
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:05 pm
PostPost subject:

Twisted Evil

Last edited by Trouble on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
T-R-E-V
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:12 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi mackers,

The storm 450 carbon fibre premium edition is a beautiful helicopter,

I brought mine from HeliPal they have reduced their price at the moment, Got my RTF for £246,

Not been brave enough to fly it yet, only admire, while I get more practice on the sim.

But can tell you it is extremely well made, will post full and honest report with video when I have tested it fully.

Trev.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:46 am
PostPost subject:

All I heard about them is good. They are a t-rex clone.

jack
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:54 am
PostPost subject: post subject

if that heli fly's as good as it looks it must be a bargain for £246.
mackers
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:54 am
PostPost subject: storm 450

Thanks gentlemen, a bit of overtime this week and then the order goes in !
mackers
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:40 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi gents
so is Trex the dogs bollocks , may as well go the whole hog and buy the best , whats the diference? Regards
T-R-E-V
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:52 pm
PostPost subject:

You must have got more overtime than you thought Mackers, if you can now afford the T-rex 450, especially ready built with say a DX8, and think this about sums up the difference.

Trev.
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 pm
PostPost subject:

I repair heli's for the local hobby shop here and they have a line of heli's they sell that look just like that storm 450. My opinion? Junk. Soft metal bits, sloppy linkages, can't get the blades to track, screws that strip and the list goes on. You need a computer to program your radio? Stupidist thing I've ever seen.
Save up, get a good radio, and a good heli. Buy once, buy smart and enjoy the hobby and get the most out your heli.
T-R-E-V
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:59 am
PostPost subject:

Helicopter that looks like other helicopter are called clones,

For example the HK250GT looks like the T-rex 250, and HK have all the characteristics of your junk description.

You obviously have not had the new Storm 450 Carbon Fibre Premium Edition (RTF) in for repair at the shop you work for, as they could not be any feather away from your description if you tried,

You also refer to the radio is the stupidest thing you have ever seen, the radio that comes with this helicopter resembles the DX6i and Dx7 Transmitter.

This 7-Channel 2.4Ghz Transmitter with LCD display programmable has all the useful functions, like "Servo Reverse, Subtrims, Swashplate Travel and Direction, Pitch Curve, Throttle Curve, Dual Rate and EXP Curves, so you can use it on "ANY" brand of RC helicopter.

The reason I have not flown mine yet, is because the radio got damaged in transit, before you say they must be junk because it broke, as we know this can happen, I am currently waiting for this to return.

I will defiantly give you a full and honest description and performance report when I fly this, but what I can tell you honestly so far without flying it,

The Helicopter looks as good close up as it does in the photo.

No binding in any of the ball linkages they all fit snug.

No screw feel loose as I have checked them in preparation for flight.

The carbon fibre blades look impressive and are assemble beautifully on the full metal CCPM rotor head from what I can see without flying this look rock solid.

As soon as I get my transmitter back I will fly the Storm 450, to see if it does fly straight out of the box, and looking at the way it has been built I believe it will.

Again will give full report of radio and out of the box test, if you have doubts on anything please let me know and I will include this in the test report.

that will be honest not somebody’s opinion that has never flown the new Storm 450 Carbon Fibre Premium Edition (RTF) Helicopter.

Trev.
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:20 am
PostPost subject:

The radio I was refering to is one of the ones that you have to plug into the computer to set anything up.
If you have one of these storm 450's and think it's good, then I am glad for you, you got a good heli. 95% of the clones are junk. I realize that everyone has a different budget, but if you look at the cost of most clones, and the cost to upgrade them to a descent machine, you could have got a good one the first time and saved alot of headaches.
Trouble, is building a clone 600 called a kaos and has had a few issues with it, campared to the Trex600 that he got first. You do get what you pay for in this hobby. there is a reason that the other stuff is so cheap.
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:11 pm
PostPost subject:

pjdog wrote:
All I heard about them is good. They are a t-rex clone.

jack

Not 100% .....

a) Swash locking plate is in front of swash and not behind.
b) Gyro is in the blade strike location on top of boom and not under as in later Trex's
c) Servos mounted on a format near direct to main shaft.

The Storm will require various replacement parts from Storm and not Trex Clones.
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:25 pm
PostPost subject:

Crashagain wrote:
The radio I was refering to is one of the ones that you have to plug into the computer to set anything up.
If you have one of these storm 450's and think it's good, then I am glad for you, you got a good heli. 95% of the clones are junk. I realize that everyone has a different budget, but if you look at the cost of most clones, and the cost to upgrade them to a descent machine, you could have got a good one the first time and saved alot of headaches.
Trouble, is building a clone 600 called a kaos and has had a few issues with it, campared to the Trex600 that he got first. You do get what you pay for in this hobby. there is a reason that the other stuff is so cheap.

Sorry but I have to disagree.

Buying a clone and upgrading - yes you would spend in comparison with original Align Trex. But most do not do that. Like me they buy clone and upgrade / replace over time. Cost then is spread more manageable and you have a flying machine.

The usual part that is 'soft' are the daft 'silk screws' the chinese like to use. First thing is to replace with a $10 bag of 12.9 machine screws which do not bround out with hex driver.
The heads and tails are reasonable and like Align gear will not appreciate too many strikes with ground.

Not everyone can afford Align gear ...... which is debatable as to whether Align copied TT !! and also to replace with 'genuine' ...

Heli flying is a big learning curve and costs need to be controlled ....... clones and clone parts go a long way towards that. My Upforce 450, a direct 450 SE V2 clone is still floying well ... despite loads of horrendous crashes and errors on my part. Total outlay apart from usual stuff like blades is way way less than I would have paid out for Align.

Onto the CT6 Radio you keep referring to ... It is a revamp of the FlySky 6 and in fact is not a bad idea to have via Computer.... why ?

Instead of a LCD panel and working through menus and also a limited number of model memories - you have a Config screen on Computer with all parameters displayed ... unlimited model memories based on capability of computer ....
I agree that on-field it's nice to be able to alter a setting via LCD screen ... but given that most people nowadays have a Notebook portable Computer .... stick that in car just in case ? For the $50 its a very good radio in fact. One point - it doesn't have the plastic bits that break as in Spek DX6i's !! No LCD screen etc. will fix that on-field !
T-R-E-V
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:26 am
PostPost subject:

Solentlife you are absolutely correct,

This was exactly what I did with my HK-250GT,

Clones are brilliant for learning how to build, fly and repair, replacing the parts that need replacing when budget allows, ending up with the machine we could not afford at the time.

There are so many clones, specially the 450 size, it’s almost impossible to know where to start,

I don’t believe the New Storm 450 is a clone, but think the RCX 450 is a clone of this. It all gets confusing, to sum up.

As Solentlife suggest buy a clone and upgrade and replace parts over time. The cost is then spread to more manageable amounts you end up with the flying machine of your dreams.

Trev.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:36 pm
PostPost subject:

All my clones are genuine clones folks; as are all the cheapo clone parts I use.
Peace (can I say that these days?) to all.

Tom.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: