Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Blade mCP X or Blade 450 3D? Or Am I Even Ready For Either?

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:19 am
PostPost subject: Blade mCP X or Blade 450 3D? Or Am I Even Ready For Either?

The helicopters I have, in the order I got them in, are the CX3, mCX2, mCX Tandem Rescue, mSR, and the SR 120 will be here sometime this week. I got a DX6i after the mCX2, which was a revelation; that should have been my first purchase.

Anyway, payday is coming soon and my finger's itchin'. I think I might be ready for a CP. I have pretty good control of the mSR, although it is currently out of commission waiting on a new tail boom assembly from a split-second of over-confidence . . .

I've been putting in time on RealFlight G5.5 and can hover almost indefinitely in the Hover Training mode with the boundary size set on medium. When its set on small I inevitably eventually drift out of bounds.

Honestly, I know eventually I'm going to buy both the mCP X and the 450, (I've heard bad things about the CP Pro 2?), but I also don't want to buy something I'm not ready for and am just going to smash first flight. Which would be the better first step? I'm leaning towards the mCP because of price and because of my flying space. Or does it sound like I'm even ready for a collective pitch yet?

I live on a 4 acre walnut orchard which may sound ideal, but there's no one big open space because of all the damn trees. Where I live there's a pretty consistent slight breeze, enough that its a constant fight to keep my CX3 from drifting away. My indoor space is pretty small, perfect for the mSR and mCX2, but only enough space to hover my CX3.

So again, what do you think would be the next best step for me? Is there some heli I'm not even thinking of that might be a better/easier choice, like a Trex or something?

If you read all that you're a trooper and I really appreciate it!
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:26 pm
PostPost subject:

I live on 3.5acres and have similar problem with trees ... + a big river as one boundary.

I have a Trex 450 SE v2 clone ........... and even though I cannot do as much with it due lack of pilot ability as I wish ... I love it and VERY glad I bought. I did consider a Fixed pitch and all the other machines for a beginner etc. - but decided to dive head first in ... No regrets at all.

As to smash on first flight ? I would hazard a guess that there are very few 450 pilots that didn't smack up in first flights.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:28 pm
PostPost subject:

I go along with Solentlife here,

Get the 450 Cool the restricted space sounds just right for Radds Course You won't regret it.

My initial training area was a small space bounded by walls on 2 sides, a steel framed gazebo on the 3rd and a swimming pool on the 4th. You can get an idea of it from this video. I am flying my Blade 400 in the early days, not long got the trainers off - WHOOOEEE!

Link

Tom.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:12 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi nick_onelove,

The 450 size is probably the way to go, it's true they get easier as they get bigger, but also more expensive to buy and repair.

I picked up an mCP X a couple of weeks ago and love it, it has similar characteristics to flying a larger CP machine but it is tough and can fly in confined spaces, will also handle a breeze much better than the MSR. Two weeks flying numerous crashes, resulting in two lost and two broken upper blade grip links, about $2 worth.

It's a matter of what your budget and flying space will allow, I think you would enjoy either choice.
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:27 am
PostPost subject:

I'd go for the 450. The mCP X demands quick control or you end up in trouble. You have the 120SR on the way and that is a great heli to work on orientation skills with. It's a bit scarier flying it indoors, but handles wind much better then the MSR does outdoors.
Go for the Blade 450 or even the 400, get training gear, lots of LiPos, follow Radd's School, put in the simm time and you'll get there sooner then you might think.
Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
sbobby
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:29 am
PostPost subject:

I would go for a Trex 450 clone ATF (Almost Ready to Fly) kit as you already got a DX6i. I think half of the fun in this hobby is to select parts, and build it (and learn from mistakes) .... etc.

mCP X is from Eflite so their parts are a bit pricey. I just replaced a 5 in 1 unit for my mSR, it costs me $60. With a Trex 450 clone, I can get a gyro & 4 servos for about $35.
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:52 pm
PostPost subject:

Spares for a 450 Trex clone of ebay ...

Feathering shafts in bags of 5 .. 10 ... ~ $10 .. $20 delivered

Main shafts similar

Flybars about $10 for a bag full

Main gears similar

Main rotor blades - I use GRP (Glass Fibre) bag of 6 about $10

Tail blades - bag of 6 about $6

Parts for 450's are so common and cheap ... it's got to point that straightening is not worth time or effort.

You can buy a complete spare 450 frame and gear for less than $40 ...
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:52 pm
PostPost subject:

Wow! Thanks for all the responses guys!

I understand that a Trex 450 would probably be best, I certainly get the value in building one myself, but I have a rather unique concern there. Shortly after I was born I had severe asthma and my life was saved by copious amounts of a stimulant called albuterol and ever since then I've had a slight tremor when trying to accurately manipulate small objects.

Obviously I can fly fine (been playing video games all my life), but for example, when pinching a tiny screw from say the mCX2 in one hand and trying to direct the tip of a screwdriver into its head with the other, I have to concentrate very hard to keep them lined up once my hands get within about 5mm of each other. Where a normal person would line it up and hit it in one smooth motion without a thought, it can take me up to 20 seconds or 5 tries to hit it.

So when I do eventually get a Trex, I want to go all out and get a 600 or 700 so the bigger parts will be easier for me to build and repair. I'm not rich, but I'm willing and able to put my next few paychecks entirely towards this hobby.

So I guess what it comes down to is how quickly I can afford that. I could *try* to push the mCP and 450 3D out of my mind and start saving to get the Trex in like three months. I could get the mCP only which would push the Trex purchase back a couple weeks, or maybe it would be smarter to get the 450 3D only, but which would push the Trex purchase back by a little over a month.

My first greedy thought is to get all three; the mCP now, the 450 3D when it release at the end of this month, and then the Trex 600/700 up to 4-5 months later. Is that stupid? What do you guys think?

And that was an epic little video, Tom! Radds Course seems very similar to the exercises one would naturally practice when first learning to fly, but I'll definitely look into it.

Anyway, thanks so much for the replies everyone! I live in a rural area with no RC aircraft community at all (just car racers . . . I'll just drive my real car thanks . . .) so the advice I get here is invaluable!
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: