Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

battery chargers ? which one ? discharge %?

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcboarder
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:59 am
PostPost subject: battery chargers ? which one ? discharge %?

Just got my first heli ,mcx2,clearly addicting and in need of a better charger that can charge / discharge , I think. I'm left at the end of my flight time and not sure what is the best state to leave the batteries in. From what little I have been able to find out, is that leaving them fully charged is wrong and leaving them drained is also wrong. So whats the proper % of charge that I'm looking for and how do I get there? The celectra 4 port was going to be my next buy but I don't think that does what I'm looking for,does it?Any suggestions on a good charger that will meet my needs would be a great help. thanks.
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:09 pm
PostPost subject:

I have 2 chargers, Hyperion 606i and the Protech 610.
both will do everything you want. the hyperion is about 100 bucks and the protech is 80 bucks. Leaving the drained it not a bad thing....
I keep my batteries stored at 3.71 per cell, that is the lowest you want to go. You want to use the 80% rule. Don't use more then 80% of the batteries capacity.
rcboarder
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:08 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks crashagain , are both of those able to do more than a single 1 cell at a time?Would really like to keep flying with out waiting for battery charge.Thanks.
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:08 pm
PostPost subject:

Both of those companies offer a DUO type charger, but 2 is the most you can do unless you want to parallel charge.
If you have a bunch of batteries all the same size you can charge them together by parallel, the charger thinks you are charging one big battery.
I am using a parallel board from http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15
you can buy a board or cables.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:04 pm
PostPost subject:

rcboarder:

Sense you don't show your location in your profile I'm not sure ordering something from the USA is cost effective but XHELI.com has the Thunder AC6 on sale for $ 47.00. It's a super charger. I have one and love it. Works great for me.

Food for thought.

Jack
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:13 am
PostPost subject:

If all you are looking to do is charge MCX2 batts, go for the Celectra 4 port charger and an AC adapter to power it. That's all you need.
Them little 1 cell 120 mAh LiPo's aren't that expencive to worry about proper charging. Just time some flights till the LVC (low Volt cutoff) on the heli kicks in and keep flights after that just short of that time.
It's not till you are paying 150$ to 200$ for a big LiPo pack for a big heli do you need to worry about spending big money on a decent charger/balancer.
rcboarder
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:38 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks everyone for responding.I think dumb thumbs is right ,I really only need to charge multiple 1 cell eflite batts, the celectra is probably all I need.Already bought the AC adapter when I bought the mcx2.I think I can pick up celectra 4 port for around 40 bucks.If I do go with pjdog's suggestion of the thunder AC6, am I right in assuming I would only need a parallel charge cable to make it work? thanks again.Oh yea, I'm in the states,NW Montana.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:46 am
PostPost subject:

rcboarder:

I would not bother with a Thunder AC6 or simular charger unless you get a helicopter that has multi cell batteries. Single cell batteries do not need a balance smart charger.

Jack
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:34 am
PostPost subject: post subject

hi rcboarder
the 4 port celectra is a brilliant little charger. i also use mine to charge four batteries at a time for my 120sr.
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:26 am
PostPost subject: Re: post subject

chopper54 wrote:
i also use mine to charge four batteries at a time for my 120sr.

Same here, but I use it to charge 4 200mAh batts for the mCP-X as well as MSR cells.
rcboarder
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:13 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks again everyone for your help,went ahead today and ordered up the celectra 4 port ,extra blade set,some more batts and some spare screws, finally crashed yesterday and lost one of those tiny blade screws.Grounded till Wednesday, oh well. Thanks again.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: