Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Thunder AC 6

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pappy K
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:43 am
PostPost subject: Thunder AC 6

I know some of you guys own this thing and I am sure you use it. ME, I got one last week - I have tried to read and "understand" the Operating Manual; However, I am not having any luck. Did not realize it was so complicated -or- more likely, did not understand how many brain cells have disappeared in the last 71 years.

Ok so here is all I get. I think I have it set up but all I get if I try to hold the button for 3seconds is a message saying "connection break" re pge 31 of the manual.

I obviously am not setting up properly to start with. So, how about you guys who are less comprehensibly challenged than I straightening this Ole Dude out.

Ta
Kirk
Scott
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:18 pm
PostPost subject:

Hey Pappy. I have two of`em. Are ypu connecting the
charge lead, as well as the balance lead? You have to
connect both at the same time.

Link

These chargers are nice. You`ll get it down.
Scott Wink
Pappy K
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:28 pm
PostPost subject:

Scott Mate: Thanks very much for responding to this Ole Fool Confused I found out about hooking up the balance as well by accident - not from the manual. Anyway, the patch cord that came with it has lebendy leben different connectors and I have three types of batteries and only one fits a battery that I have. Thanks for the video, I shall try to learn from it. AND, get myself some more connectors. I need one with the horizontal and vertical blades. And another of the plug type where you have a male and female receptical side by side. The multi wire cable has one; however the polarity is reversed.

Looking at the video the battery connector that he used is one like I need but did not come with my charger - Damn! I will now go and look for some electrical connectors and make my own cords if I have to.

Thanks again
Kirk
Scott
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:12 pm
PostPost subject:

Good Deal Pappy. The connectors in the video are "Dean`s" brand.
The charger no longer comes w/those, but that`s all I will use.
They are readily available in most shops. Glad You`re onto it.
Scott
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:00 am
PostPost subject:

Hey Pappy:

Us old guys need to band together. I'm almost 70 and when I first got my AC 6 I to was in a Pickle. I could not get the damn thing to work. All kind of alarms. I went to Xheli and watched the video and after a while I finally got it. I was lucky, I got all the connectors with mine. I bought it just before DEANS filed suit with who ever and caused the extra connectors not to come with the charger.

Be sure you get the polarity correct when you make your extra different connectors. It will not go well if they are not correct.

Jack
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 am
PostPost subject:

Great Video Scott, I've had my iMax B6 AC for about 12 months, which is identical programming to the Thunder AC6, and I learned a couple of things from it.

The only question that it raises for me is his comments on Amperage selection he uses .1 Amps per 1000 mAh therefore 4800 mAh = 4.8 Amps, that is exactly the oposite to the Bantam Operating manual that I have, which recommends the following 1S = 5.0 Amps, 2S = 5.0 Amps, 3S = 4.5 Amps, 4S = 3.4 Amps, 5s = 2.7 Amps, 6S = 2.3 Amps whereas using his formula I would be charging my 2S 800 mAh batteries at .8 Amps and 6S 4800 mAh (which I don't have) at 4.8 Amps.

I am unsure if the drop in charge amperage with increase in Cell count is to protect the Cell or more likely the charger which could overheat charging large capacity cells at high amperage. I think I'll stick with Bantam which gives me a quicker charge on the 2S & 3S batteries that is what I mainly use.
Scott
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:48 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Admiral. Some of this li-po stuff is still new to Me. I have
2200 mah batts that I charge at 2.2, And it takes about 40
mins. from a storage mode voltage. The batts don`t even get
warm. I bumped the charge up to 2.7 a couple times. Saves about 5
mins. batts still don`t get warm. Works good tho.
Scott
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:34 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Scott, I charge my 3S 2200mAh batteries at 4.5 Amp as per the instructions I have, they don't get hot either, however recently I charged three of them one after the other and on the third one I came concerned about the temperature of the charger itself and killed the charge and allowed the charger to cool before continuing. It stands to reason if you can charge any 3.7 LiPo cell at 5 Amps you should be able to charge all 3.7 LiPos at 5 Amp regardless of the number of cells. I have previously read somewhere that you should not exceed 1C when charging, but those calculations do not add up to the information supplied in the manual to equal 1C on a 650 mAh you would only charge at .650 of an Amp and the Instructions I have recommend 5 Amps.

1C, = 1 time the rated mah capacity of the battery. So if you charge your 650 mah pack at 1C, you charge it a 650 miliamps, or .650 amps.

So maybe I'm not fully understanding what I read, but it would be interesting to find out if somebody knows, I rely on the charger being smarter than me and only supplying the the required amperage.
Pappy K
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:44 pm
PostPost subject:

I am beginning to remember why I never finished my HAM Radio Operator licence even after making several attempts. This thread is bringing it all back Confused
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:01 pm
PostPost subject:

admiral wrote:
1C, = 1 time the rated mah capacity of the battery. So if you charge your 650 mah pack at 1C, you charge it a 650 miliamps, or .650 amps.

So maybe I'm not fully understanding what I read, but it would be interesting to find out if somebody knows, I rely on the charger being smarter than me and only supplying the the required amperage.

That is correct for a 1C charge Admiral and 1C is generally accepted as a safe charge rate for any li-po. However, there are now li-pos with charge rates up to 5C. (The Turnigy Nano-Tech range for instance.) Also of course many of the new batteries have a 2C max charge rate.

It is VITAL that you read the instructions on your battery and be guided by that - no instructions = 1C max or the fire is your problem for starting it. Don't blame or trust the charger - YOU have to make sure the current is not above recommended levels.

Often the charger will not charge at the 5C rate. i.e. My 11.1V 850mAh Nano-techs could be charged at 4.25A, but the charger refuses to hold more than 2A on them. I figure its programming is on the "Better safe than sorry" approach. In itself - not a problem, but disappointing when you think that you're going to get a full charge in minutes instead of an hour!

Tom.
Pappy K
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:49 pm
PostPost subject:

So does my keen analytical mind Confused resolve that if I have a 1500ma battery that I would then charge it at 1.5amps Rolling Eyes

Damn, I mite get a HAM licence yet Embarassed

kirk
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:12 pm
PostPost subject:

Pappy K wrote:
So does my keen analytical mind Confused resolve that if I have a 1500ma battery that I would then charge it at 1.5amps

You got it dead right there Kirk. Unless your battery definately states more than 1C then that's the max rate. If your 1500mAh says 2C charge rate then 3A is OK.

However, your charger may not agree and cut the rate down a little. It should NEVER increase it.

Tom.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:32 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks Tombo,

Just shows you need to be cautious, I was following the Bantam User Instructions, I just found the iMax instructions Basically the same instructions but much harder to read but they do state that the Max allowable charge current is 1C or less.

Sounds like its a good thing I don't leave my batteries while charging and use a LiPo bag.
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:20 am
PostPost subject: post subject

i just had a look on the thunder power website and they claim their latest batteries can be charged in ten minutes at 6c and are good for 300+ cycles. i have three overlander batts for my 450 pro and the instructions say they can be charged at 5c. i charge them at 2c but the rest of my batts i charge at 1c . too many horror stories about lipo's to take risks.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:06 am
PostPost subject:

I charge at 1C with a AC6 no matter what the battery says. I've seen to many people burn batteries and houses. I have lots of batteries and can wait. My best batteries are Nano tech. They say the instructions are on the back. However that's where I put the velcro to hold the battery to the helicopter battery tray so I guess I will not be reading that.

Like I said, I have lots of batteries and I'm not in a hurry. I'll wait for the charge at 1C and be safey.

jack
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: