Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

LiPo battery bunker

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:04 am
PostPost subject: LiPo battery bunker

I have been storing my packs in army surples ammo boxes but always worried that if just one cell in pack were to short out somehow the whole lot would go up in a chain reaction. A little 1/2" sheet rock and I'll be sleeping easier from now on.

chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:50 am
PostPost subject: post subject

that looks like a good idea. you cant be too careful with these lipo,s.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:56 am
PostPost subject:

Hi DT,

looks super secure, I must make some better arrangments for mine, when is the most dangerous time for them ?

1. While charging.
2. After a crash.
3. After charging and in storage.
4. While being used.

I take all the precautions while charging, good charger, LiPo bag and never leave un-attended and I know that after a serious crash you should put in a safe area for half an hour or so.

But once they have charged and stay cool while charging I haven't been worrying about them too much, just carry them around in an aluminium flying case, should I be doing more ?
moparherb
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:19 am
PostPost subject: Ammo box

DumbThumbs...I to use an ammo box for storing my many lipo's but a discussion has arouse at the club about this. Should you completely close the ammo box ( they have a pretty tight seal ) or should you leave the top a little ajar so in case of an explosion or fire they would be vented. One side says to tightly close the box to smother any possible fire. The other side says that if the lipo's were to explode in the box a tight seal would cause a larger explosion ( no where for the exploding gases to go ). I do not have the answer just asking your opinion on the matter seeing as you also use old ammo boxes.
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:08 am
PostPost subject:

admiral; While in storage I believe chances of something going wrong are slim. However, just this summer a Li-Po in a package from China went POOF at a FedEx sorting facility in Cali.
Chances of something going too meltdown are more likely to happen when in use or when charging. Any battery that looks puffed, comes down overly hot, is damagged or acts strange in any way should be retired. Just look at the pic in my post about a puffed pack. That battery was acting up the two flights but I ignored it and it nearly cost me a heli.

moparherb; I leave the latches loose while it's sitting home. My feeling is in case of a fire starting in the box it dosn't turn the box into a bomb. While transporting the box I latch it tight but I have cut a good section of the thick rubber gasket out of the lid. On the lid I have it marked "Vent" and keep this side of the box pointed in a safe(er) direction when it's home. A LiPo fire puts out a LOT of super hot gasses very fast. I don't think a closed ammo box would do anything to keep a LiPo from burning once it has a mind to, all you can do is limit the fire spreading.

These are just my opinions naturally, I don't clame to be an expert on the subject.
moparherb
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:20 am
PostPost subject: ammo box

Thanks DT...that's kind of the way I do it,but I never thought of cutting out a small section of the seal for a vent. I'll give that a try. Hopefully I will never have a Lipo fire so its a mute issue, but just in case.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:47 am
PostPost subject:

I was thinking that a tight locked ammo can would be better. I store mine in a 50 cal. can. Locked.
moparherb
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:36 pm
PostPost subject:

PJ I think that is what mine are is 50 mm ammo containers that I buy at the Army/Navy store for a few bucks. I would like to keep mine closed and locked but the guy that started the idea of venting them made some sense to me. I hope to never have a lipo problem but keeping my family safe is the most important thing. I guess I will look for a fire ext. In the next few days and keep it where I can grape it quick.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:15 pm
PostPost subject:

There are lots of videos out on the net showing lipo's going off. I was really suprised at the power they had. I keep my lipos out in the garage which is NOT attached to the house. They are also in a 50 CAL. AMMO can locked down. I figure if that's the way the army stores it's ammo then maybe I should store my lipos the same. Surely ammo has more punch than a Lipo battery?

I don't know. Just made sense to me.

Jack
FlyDoc
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 am
PostPost subject:

If those are the Army ammo boxes I remember, they're made of pretty heavy-gauge steel and tightly sealed. They're not intended to contain exploding ammo - .50-cal AP will penetrate 3/4 inch of armor at 500 yards.Surprised But it does keep them clean, dry and easy to carry.

I doubt a single LiPo would do much damage, but a few popping at once might bulge of burst the box, so venting seems like a prudent idea.

Doc
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:09 am
PostPost subject:

Well I just read a post on another forum about a LiPo that apparently shorted out just sitting around, uncharged. He heard something go pop but couldn't find what made the noise till the next day when he went to grab some batts. Luckely the battery didn't start a fire, just a small burn hole in a corner, but scary just the same.
passguy
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:37 pm
PostPost subject:

Nice approach,,,,,,,,,great,,,,,,,,,i liked that
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:45 pm
PostPost subject:

I'm staying quiet ... my LiPos sit on the bench near me !
kmkstar
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
PostPost subject:

Wow...no joke on these things!! Just had one swell up like a balloon..no fire or explosion lucky....I was running the battery down to see if that was why there was no power/charging to fast. That sucker got fat!! After hearing the stories I ripped it from the chopper and tossed it to the other side of the driveway to be safe!! After sitting there for a bit I threw it away. One of the other Batteries are showing signs of not charging up too. Then while testing that battery to see how long it would last for some dumb reason I hit F-mode and loss power and lift then dropped to the grass. Broke the rotor up a bit, not to bad, just will be grounded till more parts come. Crying or Very sad
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:39 pm
PostPost subject:

One of my 1000mAH 3S LiPo's puffs up a bit when used ... it's now relegated to back-up use only.

I find it interesting that people talk about boxes for them. IMHO any box would have to be serious as temperature that the LiPo will burn at is considerable ... it will likely burn with limited oxygen as well so any non-tight lid would be a disaster I think.
Ammo box would give a time factor of safety I'm sure and especially if lid is sealed.

There are 3 items necessary to sustain fire :

Fuel
Heat
Oxygen

Remove 1 and you are on way to sorting the fire ......... trouble is here that removing fuel is very difficult as the LiPo itself is the fuel source. Removing heat would be difficult as you'd need something suitable for Lithium ...

My thoughts anyway ...........

Mine are still on the bench. Maybe later I'll sort something.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: