Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Gyro basics

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clovis Man
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:17 am
PostPost subject: Gyro basics

Just trying to analyze how gyros are set up on models.

I was an autopilot tech in the United States Marine Corps some 30+ years ago, so I have a good handle on how gyros work -- but I'm wondering things like -- why don't models use a gyro for roll control? Why only yaw? Or are they also used on the roll channel?

Is there a FAQ on this somewhere, so we don't have to go through it all here?

Thanks!
Seve2240
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:25 am
PostPost subject: Re: Gyro basics

Clovis Man wrote:

I was an autopilot tech in the United States Marine Corps some 30+ years ago, so I have a good handle on how gyros work -- but I'm wondering things like -- why don't models use a gyro for roll control? Why only yaw? Or are they also used on the roll channel?

Thanks!

Hi, gyros are now being used on the head. The technology has been around a little while but has been too expensive and complicated to set up before now. You can purchase a "flybarless" head which has a gyro on the roll and elevator functions. An rc heli is much smaller than the real thing and with the size difference comes instability. Electronic gyros for rc helis have only been around for about 15 yrs and technology has improved to the point now where the gyros are reliable, efficient and of course small enough to use on the head of an rc heli. And of course servos are more reliable and faster now than they were. This technology was previously used in scale rc helis, reserved for the rich and out of reach to the average heli pilot. The technology is now much more affordable.
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:54 am
PostPost subject: Re: Gyro basics

Seve2240 wrote:
Clovis Man wrote:

Thanks!

Hi, gyros are now being used on the head. The technology has been around a little while but has been too expensive and complicated to set up before now. You can purchase a "flybarless" head which has a gyro on the roll and elevator functions. An rc heli is much smaller than the real thing and with the size difference comes instability. Electronic gyros for rc helis have only been around for about 15 yrs and technology has improved to the point now where the gyros are reliable, efficient and of course small enough to use on the head of an rc heli. And of course servos are more reliable and faster now than they were. This technology was previously used in scale rc helis, reserved for the rich and out of reach to the average heli pilot. The technology is now much more affordable.

In mid 1980's I fitted a Gyro to my IC powered Heli ..... so 15yrs and that of rich etc. is not actually accurate.

What was true is that the gyros then even the electronic I had were inaccurate, high current draw etc. I had to increase my Rx battery mAH capability to compensate the extra draw of the Gyro. The tail would be sluggish or way too sensitive ... as Heading Hold was not in then ... it was more like a dampening item.
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:09 am
PostPost subject:

The new batch of flybarless gyros out now are incredible.
I just installed a new BeastX in my Velocity and found out my heli was wore out. The old system flew it fine and did not complain. the new one is so sensitive that it made the heli wobble and shake all over the place. Turned out the head dampeners were wore out, and the servos were not centering well. After all that it flew great. And best of all it just a little bigger then a regular gyro..
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: