Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Battery Charger questions

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blairg
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:36 am
PostPost subject: Battery Charger questions

I want to buy a good battery charger and have read some post but my first question is.Can a good battery charger charge a 2200 mah and a 120 mah?I was thinking getting a charger like trouble a pro venom.Then I read something about a balancer are these a separate item? I am really confused on this subject advice is appreciated
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:55 pm
PostPost subject:

Most LiPo chargers are multi voltage / cell capable and also should have balance capability built in - even my cheap chinese slow jobs can do it.

For general use - something like the budget B6 charger which is all over ebay will do the job ... local shops / GiantCod / Robotbirds etc. will have them as well.

It is worth later getting a Wattmeter / Balancer / LiPo checker separately as this not only tells you if cells are unbalanced - but also tells you how much capacity is left after use etc. It's also a good tool in matching motor / prop etc.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:50 pm
PostPost subject:

Hello blairg:

Everybody has a favorite charger. Mine in the Thunder AC6. Can be found on XHELI's site. Normally it's on sale. Has lots of options. I'm real impressed with it and always recommend it to others.

I think that most GOOD charges are about the same. If your in the RC hobby for a long time then you should for sure get a good charger of some sort.

Jack
blairg
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:24 pm
PostPost subject:

Is there anything else I need or just the charger? I have a blade mcx2,blade sr120 and have a esky cp/cx coming.will this charge all of the lipo batteries?
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:31 pm
PostPost subject: post subject

you may need some extra connection cables as not all batteries have the same plugs on the end. or just buy extra cables and solder on your own
matching plugs.
some chargers also need a seperate power supply so they can be used at home or at the flying site.
blairg
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:59 pm
PostPost subject:

I just purchased the Thunder AC6.Thanks for the advice
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:05 pm
PostPost subject:

The thunder AC6 abd chargers like it are for batteries of more the one cell. Though the thunder AC6 will charge a one cel bettery these type chargers are really meant for balance chagering, Keeping all the cells at the same voltage.

Your MCX2 uses a one cell battery. It should have a battery charger like the e-flite celectra. It meant to charge more than one one cell battery. The Thunder AC6 will charge batteries like you Esky CP helicopter is going to use.

The white plug on the side of the Thunder AC6 is where you plug in the batteries balance plug for the balance function

See attached pictures.

Jack
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:11 pm
PostPost subject:

blairg:

Also get some deans plugs. I replace all the plugs on my batteries that have more than one cell with deans plugs. In my opinion deans plugs are the best. Like my E-Flight B400 helicopter came with a blue plug that did not match my charger. Everybody told me Deans was the best so I got a dozon deans plugs. When ever I buy batteries I very carefully change the batteries plug to a deans plug. You must be sure to keep the polarity correct.

Any LHS will have them or you can get them on line. I think I removed the plug the came with my AC6 and put the deans on it. Really can remember. Been a while.

The little red plug on the end of the red and black is the deans plug.

Jack
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:50 am
PostPost subject:

Tip :

When soldering up Deans plugs .... plug male and female together so that any heat distortion of the plastic doesn't affect plugging together ... and battery leads go to the FEMALE plug ... with +ve to the pin that is ACROSS the width of the plug ... not in line with the body. That way you will be in keeping with 99.9% of others ! I know - I got it wrong !! The pin that is ..
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: