Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Flybar alternative materials ?

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:44 pm
PostPost subject: Flybar alternative materials ?

Trex 450 SE V2 ..... (clone) .....

When will someone come up with a flybar material that is more suited to the job ?

Thin metal rod is IMHO prone to damage without even crashing .... any touch ... even when I've moved the 450 - I've caught the flybar and that's another one bent.

Is there any other flybar available ? One that is not so easy to damage ? I realise that you don't want something that is too strong as then you damage something else ... but present is ridiculous !
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:56 pm
PostPost subject:

Easiest solution is to go flybarless, not cheap though.

Tom.
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:32 am
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
Easiest solution is to go flybarless, not cheap though.

Tom.

But - I may be wrong ... flybar less is more twitchy / sensitive ? Not exactly a beginners set-up ?
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:38 am
PostPost subject:

Be glad that the flybar bends rather than something else. Flybars are real cheap. You can make one yourself.

There are carbon fiber but remember the tougher the flybar is then the damage gets transfered somewere else.

Jack
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:03 am
PostPost subject:

pjdog wrote:
Be glad that the flybar bends rather than something else. Flybars are real cheap. You can make one yourself.

There are carbon fiber but remember the tougher the flybar is then the damage gets transfered somewere else.

Jack

I appreciate that you don't want it too strong ... but the present bar system is so poor - there must be better ........

CF ? where - any links to sellers ?
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:22 am
PostPost subject:

Hi solentlife,

With the 3 axis gyro taking most of the strain the flybarless helis are almost like co-axials to fly, but good wind handling and without the blade strikes. Take a look at some of the new Walkeras, they are really amazing.

Tom.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:25 am
PostPost subject:

Hi solentlife,

With the 3 axis gyro taking most of the strain the flybarless helis are almost like co-axials to fly, but good wind handling and without the blade strikes. Take a look at some of the new Walkeras, they are really amazing.

FlyingDeutchMan posted this excellent private video of his.

Tom.
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:01 pm
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
Hi solentlife,

Tom.

I'm temp. financially embarrassed - so purchase of another heli is not possible ...

To change to flybarless - would that mean replacing the Gyro I presently run ... a G105 ? Despite it's obvious clone / budget origins - it does an excellent job.

http://www.leaderhobby.com/img//menu/G105.pdf

I'm still interested in possible replacement material flybars that would be more suited to training modes !
Squid70
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:07 pm
PostPost subject:

solentlife wrote:
tombo242 wrote:
Hi solentlife,

Tom.

I'm temp. financially embarrassed - so purchase of another heli is not possible ...

To change to flybarless - would that mean replacing the Gyro I presently run ... a G105 ? Despite it's obvious clone / budget origins - it does an excellent job.

http://www.leaderhobby.com/img//menu/G105.pdf

I'm still interested in possible replacement material flybars that would be more suited to training modes !

was thinking of the same problem with my kestrell..(new on this as well) i am thinking of finding a tube similar to an injection needle of a softer metal/alloy might be strong enough to be straight but weak enough to break or bend when it crashes.. hmmm this is what is good about this hobby..you think of all sorts of remedy I know its crazy but ever thought of going organic like a lightly laminated bamboo stick? it can be straight and will break you can go as thin as a few milimeters and still be stiff enough. Smile
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:33 pm
PostPost subject:

Squid70 wrote:
.. hmmm this is what is good about this hobby..you think of all sorts of remedy I know its crazy but ever thought of going organic like a lightly laminated bamboo stick? it can be straight and will break you can go as thin as a few milimeters and still be stiff enough. Smile

There is more stress on the flybar than just twirling the ends around. It is another gyro whose job it is to trim the rotors against adverse movements. To do this it needs to have a high degree of ridigity or else the corrections will not be fast enough and can result in a cumalitive control action giving the dreaded TBE or even total loss of control in the worst case.

Slackness or over tightness in the linkage/seesaw can also do this. Looking at the bamboo growing around here I doubt that it would have the stiffness required for accurate control until it was thick enough to effect the flight times due to excess drag. Remember that most of the heavy strains will be in the vertical plane - the worst one - in this case - to thicken for flight!

Tom.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: