Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Adding batteries to extend flight time?

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:57 pm
PostPost subject: Adding batteries to extend flight time?

Is this possible? I recently acquired a S026 (fantastic first copter btw) Very Happy
I noticed how short flight time is and would like to increase it. Can I buy one or two "spare" batteries that are specific to the S026 and connect them in parallel?

So currently 1 battery: 5 mins flight (seems shorter)
Add 2 more: 15 mins flight! (theoretically)
The batteries don't way just about anything but the gyro should compensate for any balance changes right? If I did this would charging the battery charge them all at once?

I know more batteries means more weight which means less battery juice but one battery's weight more than pays for itself in flight time. One battery lifts the entire heli for 5 mins so an extra won't be to bad
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:11 am
PostPost subject:

Welcome Rocky,

Sorry but the power required to lift weight with rotors rises proportionately to the square of the weight. Doubling the weight requires 4 times the power. Your extra battery may not double the weight but it will increase it significantly. Your flight time will not double, best you could hope for is an extra minute or two! Also the gyro only steadies the rudder, it will not compensate for a poor CG.

The way to increase flight time is to change the batteries not add more.

Tom.
Rocky
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:30 am
PostPost subject:

The battery is new so I don't know if changing it would do to much. Anyways the S026 is a chinook so it's dual rotor, not sure if that makes a difference in how the gyro operates. (still new to this)

So I guess what I'm wondering is if I bought two more batteries, placed them to be as balanced as possible, spliced the current battery wires to create a parallel circuit with the new batteries, would plugging the charger into the helicopter charge all 3 of them?

I understand it won't increase flight time by a lot but getting even just one minute extra would be worth it. Also would give me something to fiddle with when putting the extras in. But again, I think my biggest question is if it will charge all the batteries together.

Thanks!
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:34 am
PostPost subject: post subject

hi rocky,
i dont know if what you say would work but lipo batteries can be very volatile if not treated in the correct manner. charging them in any way other than as per the instructions is very risky. personally i would advise against it and dont leave them unattended when charging.
Rocky
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:21 am
PostPost subject:

Hmm.. On the note of replacing the battery, I'm guessing you meant a stronger one? I'm still wedging my way into electronics but is mAH how one measures the time it can put out energy?

So verse the stock 200mAH would getting this 1000mAH give me more flight time?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=3.7v+battery+li-poly&hl=en&prmd=ivns&resnum=3&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=745890591368068139&ei=g-kXTYPMNI66sQOEj4DFAg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CJsBEPMCMAk#
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:27 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Rocky,

By changing the batteries I meant - have the charged batteries in hand and removing the used battery and replacing it with a charged one. That way you would have several sessions of flight in one go with only a short break between them. You would have to fit a connector (JST mini would be good) in order to do this, but you will have to do that for the battery you posted a link on. This is kinder on the heli than bigger batteries and also give the motors time to cool a little while you change batteries. Most of us always have more than one battery in hand when we go to fly.

That 1000mAh battery should increase flight time, but consider what I said above and remember that those motors (all 4 of them) are going to get very hot - unless you can increase the airflow around them.

Your gyro is only controlling the tail in order to keep it more or less straight in flight.

Tom.
Rocky
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:01 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Tom,

(this forum has a bit of different etiquette that I am used to)

The thing about changing the batteries is that what I have is just a simple RC mini helicopter. I would have to unscrew 7 or so screws to swap the battery. Or fly without the snazzy shell Razz I may just buy that other battery and try it out. If it doesn't work or I fry something it won't be a big loss as these helicopters aren't very expensive.

The thing about this helicopter is that it has no tail.

Unless the rear rotor counts as the tail in this case.

I've been thinking about getting a larger scale helicopter with this though. I'd love to have a hobby I can tinker with and then actually use/fly
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:41 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Rocky,

Sounds like you like to tinker, its the way I learn most things, my tinkering is not always successful but I have fun and usually learn something. I agree with Thombo multiple changable batteries is the way to go, and there is no saying that you have to use 200 Mah batteries either I have found some batteries on Ebay that suit the S026 and apparently give 62% more power http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2x-3-7v-LiPo-Battery-130mAh-UP-210mAh-SH-6020-1-S026-/250526161833 not sure how, to me 200 Mah is 200 Mah but at least you would have three batteries one flying, one charging and one cooling down. As Thombo says then you would have motor cooling problems, well I would try cutting out cargo doors in either side, reduces weight, allows you to change batteries and allows cooling for the motors. These batteries only weigh 5.6 grams most of the larger ones are in the 50 gram range.

Anyway that my thoughts on the matter, have fun.
Rocky
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:45 am
PostPost subject:

Oh wonderful! Those batteries look great. Maybe I can even put them in parallel Cool Thanks for the link!
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: