Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Issue with GS240 [SOLVED - was USB cable issue]

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mambazo
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:44 pm
PostPost subject: Issue with GS240 [SOLVED - was USB cable issue]

Hi All,

Another new comer to R/C Helicopters, and R/C in general. I bought a GS240 (http://www.toysmart-uk.com/gs240-g-s-hobby-full-metal-rc-helicopter-80-p.asp) yesterday and it was working perfectly.

After the batteries appeared to have discharged, I charged the heli (with the USB lead provided) for 25-30 mins. Now when I try to use the heli, it cuts out as soon as I start to use the throttle. The blades spin for a slit second and then stop.

Is the heli not charging or is something else wrong?

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited by Mambazo on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:38 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Mambazo:

I have a feeling that you may have over discharged your battery. Lipo batterues are funny about being over used. When this happens they refuse to recharge. First i would try another battery.

If that fails than get a E-Flite mcx, mcx2 or mcx3. These are top quality helicopters and parts are available every were. They are available in the UK also. E-Flite helicopters are more expensive but they are well worth the extra money. Folks that have had them will tell you that they are excellent quality helicpoters. E-Flite (Blade) are super for the money.

My 2 cents worth.

Jack
Mambazo
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:23 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Turns out it is something to do with the USB charger cable itself. I charged the heli using the small lead from the remote controller itself, and its perfect.

Pity, because now the controller batteries are going to be eaten fast Smile

Luckily the heli is very difficult to totally discharge. It cuts off the rotors at a certain voltage level (?) I'm guessing, but the lights still work, and the infra-red still blinks, you just can't fly it. I'd have to leave it on overnight with just the lights to totally discharge it. Handy Very Happy

As a first time flyer, I just discovered that the air cushion (?) when you are flying really low to the ground makes it very hard to control the heli. Once I brought it up to about a meter or so, it became really easy! And there I was thinking I'd never master it!

Anyways, thanks again for your help. I wonder is there any way to get the USB cable working correctly so I can charge with that instead?

Cheer,
Matt
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:28 am
PostPost subject:

Hiya MB,
Ditto what PJ says.
I myself would not even waste the money to buy another Batt. for that. Not blaming you, it is not your fault, but man, IF there is a commodity that exemplifies the term "you get what you pay for". it is RC Helis!!!!!!! I mean you can buy a $10.00 airplane and it will fly, I know, lol....But...not helis. Well, I guess that isn't 100% true, i'm sure somewhere in the world one of those helis is flyin like a champ...maybe....possibly.... Rolling Eyes
If you are lookin' for a beginner/fly-for-fun heli I would follow PJs' advice and look at the E-flite birds, other than that, the only Brand I "might" consider and does have RTF helis for under $100.00 would be Walkera. That company is not going to go away, they are definitly making steady headway into the Heli market and they look dang nice too. But I would go PJ's route first, much more dependable.
and that is my .00002 cents worth. Wink
Edit: Dang Matt, you musta been typin' same time as me, ....so, you found the problem then? cool, guess forget all I had to say then, lol. Shows how much I know... Rolling Eyes so it flies and everything...extra cool. wish I could help ya on the USB thing but I know nothing 'bout that sort, Tombo does I bet, he is a Wizard, (I believe he is secretly Merlin)...he might come on and resolve your problem. I still stand behind PJ and what he says 'bout E-flite though, Wink
Mambazo
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:06 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks Trouble,

Yeah it looks like we were typing at the same time!

I'm really happy with the GS240 so far (USB issue aside), even if it is my first and only Smile

I can't wait to get a 4 channel one, I instinctively want to move left and right when avoiding obstacles (habit from computer games and flight sims I guess) but with a 3 channel I have to turn, ahead of time. Takes some getting use to.

I'll no doubt be back with more questions Razz

Thanks for the tips folks! Happy flying.

Matt
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:26 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Mambazo and welcome,
if you want a 4 channel heli pjdog is giving good advice. the mcx2 would be an ideal starter heli. plus you can buy extra batteries and dont have to wait while they charge. having to wait to fly when you are a new addict is frustrating.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:14 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Mambazo,

+1 on PJs' advice, you will not go wrong with E-flite.

Re: The USB Charger. Are you using a hub to connect to the computer? Unless it has an external power supply it will not have enough current to charge a li-po batery. The same goes for some USB sockets on portables and any of the USB1 series. Rolling Eyes

Your computer manual should give the power availability of its USB sockets. (Often quite small Confused and not enough to drive a charge.) However, if there is ample power, then it has to be a fault in the lead itself. Not easy to repair with the molded ends. but possible with a good modelling knife, soldering iron and hot melt glue to complete the casing repair.

Tom.
Mambazo
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:25 pm
PostPost subject:

Re: USB, I was using the front ports on my desktop. Perhaps the voltage on those isn't high enough? I could try the ports on the back perhaps.

There is actually no mention of the USB cable in the instructions leaflet with the heli, so I'm not sure what the red light on it means.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: