Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Max. charge rate LiPo One Cell 150mah 3.7 volt cell 5 amps??

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highway Hilton
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:03 am
PostPost subject: Max. charge rate LiPo One Cell 150mah 3.7 volt cell 5 amps??

I was looking at the manual that came with my charger today (Thunder AC6) and noticed that it stated that the maximum charge rate for a single cell LiPo battery with a nominal voltage of 3.7 volt is 5.0 amps. They also recommend maximum discharge rate to be no more than 1.0 amp.

And as the cell count increases the overall charge or discharge rates decrease respectfully. For instance a 6 cell LiPo battery pack with a nominal voltage of 22.2 volts drops to 2.3 amp max. charge while the discharge rate drops to 0.2 max.

A charge rate of 5 amps seems awfully high to me for a single cell, what figure do you all charge by so your batteries aren't cooked in the process?
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:40 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Highway,

Unless otherwise stated the max charge for any Li-Po is 1C. (Some Rhino's charge at 5C). The charge rate is totally dependant on capacity not voltage or number of cells.

Therefore, if your 3.7V cell had a capacity of 5,000mAh then 5A would be correct. However most single cell batteries are in the lower capacity region. A 400mAh battery would charge at 0.4A.

The quoted 6 cell battery would appear to have a capacity of 2,300mAh as it is charged at 2.3A. The discharge rate seems low it is usually around 1A. But this is not the "In use max discharge". That again depends on the C rating.

This rating is the proportion of an hour that the battery can safely be discharged in. So a 20C battery can be discharged in 1/20 of an hour. The higher the mAh the more amps you can draw in order to discharge in the time scale. A 20C 2,200mAh battery can give (2,200 X 20)/1,000 = 44A. Whereas a 15C 2,200mAh battery will give (2,200 x 15)/1,000 = 33A.

Confusing, but I hope this helps.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:29 am
PostPost subject:

hello Highway Hilton:

I charge my 3.7 volt 1-cell 120mAh 14C batteries at .3a. What's what E-Flite has recommended.

Check you manual that came with you MCX. You will see the charge rate.

Jack
Highway Hilton
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:35 am
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
Hi Highway,

Unless otherwise stated the max charge for any Li-Po is 1C. (Some Rhino's charge at 5C). The charge rate is totally dependant on capacity not voltage or number of cells.

Therefore, if your 3.7V cell had a capacity of 5,000mAh then 5A would be correct. However most single cell batteries are in the lower capacity region. A 400mAh battery would charge at 0.4A.

The quoted 6 cell battery would appear to have a capacity of 2,300mAh as it is charged at 2.3A. The discharge rate seems low it is usually around 1A. But this is not the "In use max discharge". That again depends on the C rating.

This rating is the proportion of an hour that the battery can safely be discharged in. So a 20C battery can be discharged in 1/20 of an hour. The higher the mAh the more amps you can draw in order to discharge in the time scale. A 20C 2,200mAh battery can give (2,200 X 20)/1,000 = 44A. Whereas a 15C 2,200mAh battery will give (2,200 x 15)/1,000 = 33A.

Confusing, but I hope this helps.

Hi Tombo,

I thought I was confused before but now I know I'm confused. What is a C? I know the term mah, amps, and volts but C is news to me.
The charger that came with the MCX charges at .3 amps but that's for the 110mah 3.7volt cell that came with it. The first thing I did was to purchase a few extra cells rated at 150mah 3.7volts. So I'm assuming I would use a slightly higher amp charge rate but I'm still not grasping the formula. Maybe I should put the Mike's Hard Lemonade down and pay attention here.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:00 am
PostPost subject:

This might help get your head around it :-

http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applications/CellRatingSpec_KOK1250/index.htm
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:32 am
PostPost subject:

That's a good link from Admiral, as always right on the ball.

A "C" is a charge/discharge rating. 1C charge rate is the battery capacity replaced in 1 hour. 1C discharge is the battery discharged in 1 hour.

Assuming that your 150mAh batteries are only rated for a 1C charge, then the max charge current is (150mAh x 1C)/1,000 = 0.15A

I find it easier to convert straight to Ah:
150mAh = 0.15Ah
To fully charge in 1 hour (1C) takes 0.15A for 1 hour.
To fully charge in 1/2 hour (2C) takes 0.3A for 1/2 hour.

It's not easy at first, I think we all had to take several tries at it but we don't always admit it! Wink

It will come I promise.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:34 am
PostPost subject:

Hello again Highway Hilton:

I charge all my 3.7 volt 110 mAh, 120 mAh, 150 mAh 1-cell lipo batteries @ .3a.

Again, that's what E-Flite recommends.

I've not had any problems.

jack
rajskynetindia
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:51 pm
PostPost subject:

Therefore, if your 3.7V cell had a capacity of 5,000mAh then 5A would be correct. However most single cell batteries are in the lower capacity region. A 400mAh battery would charge at 0.4A. The quoted 6 cell battery would appear to have a capacity of 2,300mAh as it is charged at 2.3A. The discharge rate seems low it is usually around 1A. But this is not the "In use max discharge". That again depends on the C rating. This rating is the proportion of an hour that the battery can safely be discharged in. So a 20C battery can be discharged in 1/20 of an hour. The higher the mAh the more amps you can draw in order to discharge in the time scale. A 20C 2,200mAh battery can give (2,200 X 20)/1,000 = 44A. Whereas a 15C 2,200mAh battery will give (2,200 x 15)/1,000 = 33A.
but I hope this helps.

Enjoy...
Highway Hilton
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:38 pm
PostPost subject:

rajskynetindia wrote:
Therefore, if your 3.7V cell had a capacity of 5,000mAh then 5A would be correct. However most single cell batteries are in the lower capacity region. A 400mAh battery would charge at 0.4A. The quoted 6 cell battery would appear to have a capacity of 2,300mAh as it is charged at 2.3A. The discharge rate seems low it is usually around 1A. But this is not the "In use max discharge". That again depends on the C rating. This rating is the proportion of an hour that the battery can safely be discharged in. So a 20C battery can be discharged in 1/20 of an hour. The higher the mAh the more amps you can draw in order to discharge in the time scale. A 20C 2,200mAh battery can give (2,200 X 20)/1,000 = 44A. Whereas a 15C 2,200mAh battery will give (2,200 x 15)/1,000 = 33A.
but I hope this helps.

Enjoy...

Let's see if I understand you correctly. My HexaKopter uses a 4 cell 4400 mah 15C LiPo. So max charge rate would be 4.4 amps is this correct?

It won't harm the battery to charge at less than rated amps will it?
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:19 pm
PostPost subject:

rajskynetindia,

Why are you quoting my post without acknowleging me. Your post above is simply a straight copy of mine from further up. In the west this is considered a very impolite thing to do and I have noticed that you have done this in other posts of yours.

PLEASE, let us have some original work of yours. I realise that it is not easy when you are not working in your first language but STOP COPYING OTHER PEOPLES' POSTS!
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:23 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Highway Hilton,

Yes, that is correct 4.4A for a 4,400mHa battery on a 1C charge.

rajskynetindia, do NOT copy this post. Mad
Highway Hilton
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:32 pm
PostPost subject:

OK either you're pulling my leg here or one of us doesn't know how to use the quote feature. When someone makes a comment further up the line and another person making a post wants to ask THAT individual to clarify they hit the quote button (upper right hand corner) and ask the question.

I was merely asking you to elaborate.

A quote isn't intended to ruffle your feathers. If your feathers get ruffled that easy you have no business on a public forum in the 1st place.

Understand, probably not..... Confused
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:20 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Highway Hilton,

Please rest assured that none of my comments on copying were meant for you. Your posts have always been exemplorary.

The person "Ruffling my feathers" was rajskynetindia not you. If you check back up the thread you will see what I mean. My entire post has been pasted in as if it were his. He did not even have the decency to start with "As Tombo said" or put it in a quote as the rest of us do.

I am very sorry if this was not clear, I did try to ensure that my "Don't Copy" remarks were addressed to him and not you. My apologies to you if I did not succeed.
NMGeezer
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:40 pm
PostPost subject:

Rajskynetindia has made three posts.
All three were direct copy's of another persons post made to look like it came from him, they were not quotes.
Tombo had a right to get a bit testy Smile
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:43 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks for the support there NMGeezer, very much appreciated. Smile
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: