Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Can a Battery Cause Flight Controls to Not Work?

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BSquared18
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:25 am
PostPost subject: Can a Battery Cause Flight Controls to Not Work?

This problem has me scratching my head; hope someone has an answer.

New to RC copters, a couple of weeks ago I bought a Blade mCX2, along with an extra 120 mAH e-flite battery.

Then, I ordered five 160 mAH Turnigy batteries from an eBay seller, each for about half what I had paid for the extra e-flite battery locally.

What has me scratching my head is that for one out of the five Turnigy batteries, when I install it fully charged, everything works fine EXCEPT for the forward/backward control. Throttle, yaw, and left/right bank work fine, but the forward/backward control is totally non-responsive.

The other four Turnigy batteries work fine, although one of these was exhibiting the same problem for a while but then, after I gave it an extra charge, it worked fine.

I've tested them over and over, making sure they are properly installed in the battery cradle.

One puzzle: Why is the problem occurring only with one flight control, and no others?

I'll be looking forward to some theories.

Thanks,
Bill
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:54 am
PostPost subject: post subject

good question BSquared18
i dont think your head is the only one to get scratched here.
could you try running the battery down by using the throttle and recharging. perhaps a couple of discharge and recharge cycles will bring about a cure.
but any way as you got them at such a good price you do have four good ones. as all your other batts are ok it must surely be the one battery that is the problem rather than the heli. you never know though this hobby does throw up some strange happenings. Confused
BSquared18
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:20 pm
PostPost subject:

Some additional data on this puzzling issue:

First, when a battery is inserted that causes the copter to malfunction, I can hear a small chirping noise in the copter when the copter is at rest. I don't hear that sound when a "good" battery is installed.

Also, when any of the Turnigy batteries are installed, there sometimes is a sound from the copter until the motor has been run for a few seconds. No such sound from the E-Flite batteries.

The "C" rating on the 160 mAH Turnigy batteries is 30, contrasted with a C rating of 14 for the 120 mAH E-Flite ones. Can that be a factor?

Bill
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:27 am

i am no expert BSquared18 but is it possible
that your new batts are slightly over powered and they are gently frying the main board. Confused
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:10 am

hi BSquared18
after my last post i went and checked my msr batts. they are the same as you are using. turnigy 160 and 30c and have been no problem at all. so my last post is probably rubbish talk or straw grasping.
BSquared18
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:32 am
PostPost subject: Re: post subject

chopper54 wrote:
hi BSquared18
after my last post i went and checked my msr batts. they are the same as you are using. turnigy 160 and 30c and have been no problem at all. so my last post is probably rubbish talk or straw grasping.

I don't know.... Better safe than sorry.

Is the circuitry in the MSR the same as that in the mCX2?

Better safe than sorry. I'm inclined to order a batch of smaller batteries, 130 mAH say, and sell the ones I have to someone who tries them out and finds they work for them. After all, we're talking about only a few dollars here.

Interesting, though, that no one else seems to have reported any problems with this size/type battery.

Thanks,
Bill
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:10 am

i have the original mcx which came with a 110mah batt, the msr is supplied with 120mah batts. i dont know the c rating as i have none left and only use the turnigy batts now. i cant test the mcx as its gathering dust with broken skids for the last couple of months but the msr is working fine with the turnigy batts but i dont know if the curcuitry is different in any way.
best to be safe and change batts as you dont want to wreck your heli with risky batteries.
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:50 pm
PostPost subject:

High mA / C rating does not mean they feed more power by their own decision - it means they are capable of meeting that demand.

So in theory you shouldn't have any problem at all as long as the Voltage rating is same ...

What can happen is that current draw when operating servos can exceed momentarily batterys capability and you get a momentary drop in voltage enough to knock out Rx. This can occur with any rated battery if it has internal resistance problems or the ESC BEC rating is not enough for servo demand.

But it sounds like you have a duff battery - which happens ... factorys put together components and then quick test and send out ....... so odd ones here and there will be strange !
BSquared18
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:04 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks everyone for your input.

"Flying Goose" at RC Universe came up with the answer, which seems so obvious once it is pointed out.

He suggested that perhaps the more powerful batteries are a bit longer and are rubbing up against a servo.

He was right. You see, the end cap on the problem battery came off the first time I tried to install it. When I glued it back on, it stuck out a bit more than the caps on the other Turnigy batteries. That extra length was just enough to cause the problem.

With all the longer batteries, I have to be careful how they are positioned in the cradle. When I do that, there is no problem.

Thanks again, and chalk this one up to a newbie who is just learning.

Bill
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:26 am

i like a happy ending
tpcollins
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:28 am
PostPost subject:

I too bought a 160 mAh battery for my CMX2 and the only thing difference I've noticed is the extra weight - it takes a bit more power to get it airborne. I didn't think the extra 10 grains would make a difference but it is about a 20% heavier battery so that's probably why it acts a bit sluggish.
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:43 pm
PostPost subject:

Good to hear a good ending and simple cure !
Seve2240
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:39 pm
PostPost subject: Re: Can a Battery Cause Flight Controls to Not Work?

BSquared18 wrote:

New to RC copters, a couple of weeks ago I bought a Blade mCX2, along with an extra 120 mAH e-flite battery.

Then, I ordered five 160 mAH Turnigy batteries from an eBay seller, each for about half what I had paid for the extra e-flite battery locally.

What has me scratching my head is that for one out of the five Turnigy batteries, when I install it fully charged, everything works fine EXCEPT for the forward/backward control. Throttle, yaw, and left/right bank work fine, but the forward/backward control is totally non-responsive.

The other four Turnigy batteries work fine, although one of these was exhibiting the same problem for a while but then, after I gave it an extra charge, it worked fine.

I've tested them over and over, making sure they are properly installed in the battery cradle.

One puzzle: Why is the problem occurring only with one flight control, and no others?

Thanks,
Bill

weird one here all right. The only thing i can suggest is its coincidental that its happening on the one battery as I cant see how battery can effect rx. It would be all going or nothing going. You must have an issue with the elevator plug or wires to the rx. Happy flying Very Happy
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:39 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Seve,

BSquared18 wrote:
You see, the end cap on the problem battery came off the first time I tried to install it. When I glued it back on, it stuck out a bit more than the caps on the other Turnigy batteries. That extra length was just enough to cause the problem.

With all the longer batteries, I have to be careful how they are positioned in the cradle. When I do that, there is no problem.

Seems his battery being longer than the others was blocking the servo arm. It was a purely mechanical problem. Well worthy of note.

Tom.
Seve2240
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:14 pm
PostPost subject: Re: Can a Battery Cause Flight Controls to Not Work?

BSquared18 wrote:

Thanks,
Bill

Ha ha, would have been the last thing I would have thought of too. Thats the problem with complicated electronics. You always think it must be them and not something simply mechanical. Great you got it sorted. Very Happy
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: